The Barracks Towers will employ and house 1 Guard for every level built (unlike the normal Guard Towers, which can only have 1 Guard at a time). Each new Guard will need a bed in a house in order to spawn. However, once they are hired at the Barracks Tower, that becomes their new residence and the bed in the house will open up for another new citizen (child or recruit).
|Barracks Tower Level||Max # of Guards|
The Barracks Tower locations are predetermined by the Barracks that you choose. They are placed in specific locations to fit within the Barracks.
|Barracks Level||Max # of Barracks Towers||Max Level of Barracks Towers|
Guard(s) will patrol a set distance around their tower, which is based on their tower’s level.
|Tower Level||Max Patrol Distance|
Note: If you place Barracks/Barracks Towers near your colony border and level them up, your border will expand.
Barracks Tower GUI
When accessing the Barracks Tower’s hut block by right-clicking on it, you will see a GUI with different options:
- Hut Level: Tells you the type of hut and the build level of the building you have selected.
- Worker Assigned: Tells you the worker assigned to this building and their worker level. The worker levels up in time by working. The higher their level, the faster and more efficient they will be.
- Manage Workers: Lets you change which worker is assigned to work at this hut. There can only be one worker at each hut. Note: this only works if you have turned the worker hiring mode in the Town Hall block to manual, otherwise your citizens will be hired automatically.
- Recall Worker: Recalls the worker at this building to their hut block. You might use it if they are stuck somewhere, you want to see what they have, or want to give them something directly.
- Build Options: Lets you create a build, upgrade, reposition, or repair build order for this hut. To learn more about the building system, please visit the Builder page.
- Delivery Priority: You can set the priority that a Courier will visit this hut and pick up items (when the worker at this hut issues a request), or you can tell Couriers to never visit this hut to pick up items. You can also tell a Courier to do a pickup now using the Request Pickup Now button. (For the pickup priority, 10 is the highest.)
- List of Recipes and Teach Recipe: When clicking the list of recipes button, you see all the recipes you have taught this hut and can remove them. When clicking teach recipe, it opens a crafting grid which allows you to teach this hut recipes (not the worker).
- Inventory: Here you can access the hut block's storage, where the worker at this hut takes and deposits materials. They will also use any racks or chests that were placed in the hut when it was built or upgraded, so be sure to check those as well!
- ?: Some huts have an in-game guide. Press the ? button to access it.
- A chest icon: Click this button to see all the items in the hut's storage (including the hut block's inventory and any racks/chests that came with the hut). Clicking the ? button next to an item's count will highlight the storage container it's in.
This is page two of the GUI.
- Knight or Archer: This is where you can choose if you want the Guard(s) to be a Knight or an Archer-just click to change the setting. The difference between the two is that Knights use swords, while Archers use bows. Note: You can only change this if you have turned the Assign the Guard to the Job setting to manually.
- Try to Retreat on Low Health: Here you can choose if the Guard will retreat when they have low health, if possible. You can choose from Off or On.
- Try to hire from training facility: If there is a vacancy at this tower, here is where you can choose if you want a Guard to be hired from the respective training facility (Archery for Archers and Combat Academy for knights) instead of an unemployed colonist. (This setting only matters if Assign Colonists to Jobs is turned to Automatic in the Town Hall GUI.)
- Patrol, Follow, or Guard: This is where you can choose if you want the Guard(s) to patrol, follow, or guard.
- If you set it to Guard, you can set one area for the Guard(s) to stay in. You can set the area by clicking Set Guarding Target, which will spawn a Guard-scepter in your inventory. Right-clicking on a block with the Guard-scepter will set it as the guard spot.
- If you set it to Follow, the Guard(s) will follow you around as your personal bodyguard protecting you or fighting alongside you. They will even go outside the colony when following! If you choose Loose Grouping, the Guard(s) will stay close to you, but not as close as if you choose Tight Grouping.
- If you set it to Patrol, you have a couple different options.
- If you set Find Patrol Target to automatically, the Guard(s) will patrol from hut to hut and back to their tower.
- If you set Find Patrol Target to manually, you can set the patrol route when you click on Set Patrol Positions. Clicking on it will spawn a Guard-scepter in your inventory. You can right-click using the Guard-scepter to set patrol positions for the Guard(s) to patrol between. To delete patrol positions, simply get a new Guard-scepter and click a new patrol position. The old ones should disappear.
On the third page of the GUI you can tell the Guard which mobs to attack and which ones to ignore. You can also choose the priority of each mob by moving them up or down in the list. The default order is reverse alphabetically.
Page four has a minimum stock list.
- Minimum Stock: Use this button to tell the Barracks Tower to keep a minimum stock on hand. Set items will be displayed above the button.