Before you build any other building, you must build the Builder’s Hut. If the Builder’s Hut is not built, the Builder cannot build other buildings.
Before you choose a place to build the Builder’s Hut, take into account the distances among the other possible building sites and obstacles like water, trees, caves, mountains, lava sources, etc. After you have selected a place for the hut, you have to craft the Builder’s Hut block and place it with your Building Tool. Once the hut is placed, the Builder will be automatically assigned (or you can manually assign one with the best Traits for a Builder if you changed this in the settings tab in the Town Hall’s GUI.
Now you will have to issue the build assignment so the Builder can build their own hut first. The Builder will ask for the materials they need. Make sure to check the Resource Scroll or the second page of the Builder’s Hut to see what materials the Builder is requesting for any build/upgrade. Any material in the list that is still missing will be in red letters.
Once the Builder’s Hut is built you can now build anything you want, like worker huts, buildings, decorations, or your own schematics.
- Note: The Builder can only build or upgrade any other hut up to the level of their own hut. So, in order for the Builder to upgrade any building, the Builder’s Hut must be upgraded first. Then the Builder will be able to upgrade any other building(s).
Builder’s Hut GUI
When accessing the Builder’s Hut block by right-clicking on it, you will see a GUI with different options:
- Hut Level: Tells you the type of hut and the build level of the building you have selected.
- Worker Assigned: Tells you the worker assigned to this building and their worker level. The worker levels up in time by working. The higher their level, the faster and more efficient they will be.
- Manage Workers: Lets you change which worker is assigned to work at this hut. There can only be one worker at each hut. Note: this only works if you have turned the worker hiring mode in the Town Hall block to manual, otherwise your citizens will be hired automatically.
- Recall Worker: Recalls the worker at this building to their hut block. You might use it if they are stuck somewhere, you want to see what they have, or want to give them something directly.
- Build Options: Lets you create a build, upgrade, reposition, or repair build order for this hut. To learn more about the building system, please visit the Builder page.
- Delivery Priority: You can set the priority that a Deliveryman will visit this hut and pick up items (when the worker at this hut issues a request), or you can tell Deliverymen to never visit this hut to pick up items. You can also tell a Deliveryman to do a pickup now using the Request Pickup Now button.
- List of Recipes and Teach Recipe: When clicking the list of recipes button, you see all the recipes you have taught this hut and can remove them. When clicking teach recipe, it opens a crafting grid which allows you to teach this hut recipes (not the worker).
- Inventory: Here you can access the hut block's storage, where the worker at this hut takes and deposits materials. They will also use any Racks or chests in the hut, so be sure to check those as well!
By pressing the arrow button in the top right corner of the GUI, you will be taken to page 2 of the GUI where you will find the following:
Important Note: After pressing the BUILD button you will see a new list of all the items required for that build. There are some options here, but the most important option is that you MUST CONFIRM the build by pressing the Build Building button so the build order is created.
Important Note: After pressing the UPGRADE button you will see a new list of all the items required for that build. There are some options here, but again, the most important option is that you MUST CONFIRM the upgrade by pressing the Upgrade Building button so the build order is created.
After pressing the Build Options button you have a few options to consider:
- Schematic Style: Here you can verify the style of schematics you have currently. You can change the style, but it's not recommended that you change it since it will most likely be in a different position.
- Builder: Here is where you can choose what Builder you want on the project. If the hut is out of your Builders' range, this is where you can manually assign one.
- List: This is the list of resources that the Builder will need for the schematic style selected.
- Repair: This is to repair a building according to its schematic. This will remove any changes that a player has made to the current building.
- Upgrade: When you are ready to upgrade to the next level. Upgrading will come with benefits, like more furnaces for a Smelter to use (for example).
- Deconstruct: To deconstruct the building. After the Builder is done breaking the building, you will get the building's hut block, which will keep its current level. This is so you can place it somewhere else using the Building Tool.
A few things to consider
For the placement of the Builder’s Hut, you should consider having the hut in the middle of where you plan to have the rest of your buildings so that the Builder has less of a distance to walk between their hut and the build sites.
The Builder will not start another build assignment until they have finished the current one.
You can go to the Town Hall’s GUI and click on the Work Orders tab and cancel the current build as well as arrange the priorities of the other build orders you have there. If you cancel a work order and it was being built already, when you assign the build order again, the Builder will continue where they left off.
If the Builder removes a block (dirt, wood, planks, glass, etc.) while building and/or upgrading, they will keep it in their inventory and dump any items in their inventory at the end of a build into the Builder’s Hut inventory.