Before you build any other building, you must build the Builder’s Hut. If the Builder’s Hut is not built, the Builder cannot build other buildings.
Before you choose a place to build the Builder’s Hut, take into account the distances among the other possible building sites and obstacles like water, trees, caves, mountains, lava sources, etc. After you have selected a place for the hut, you have to craft the Builder’s Hut block and place it with your build tool. Once the hut is placed, the Builder will be automatically assigned (or you can manually assign one with the best Traits for a Builder if you changed this in the settings tab in the Town Hall’s GUI.
Now you will have to issue the build assignment so the Builder can build their own hut first. The Builder will ask for the materials they need. Make sure to check the Resource Scroll or the second page of the Builder’s Hut GUI to see what materials the Builder is requesting for any build/upgrade. Any material in the list that is still missing will be in red letters.
Once the Builder’s Hut is built you can now build anything you want, like worker huts, buildings, decorations, or your own schematics.
- Note: The Builder can only build or upgrade any other hut up to the level of their own hut. So, in order for the Builder to upgrade any building, the Builder’s Hut must be upgraded first. Then the Builder will be able to upgrade any other building(s).
Builder’s Hut GUI
- Hut Level: Tells you the type of hut and the build level of the building you have selected.
- Worker Assigned: Tells you the worker assigned to this building and their worker level. The worker levels up in time by working. The higher their level, the faster and more efficient they will be.
- Manage Workers: Lets you change which worker is assigned to work at this hut. There can only be one worker at each hut. Note: this only works if you have turned the worker hiring mode in the Town Hall block to manual, otherwise your citizens will be hired automatically.
- Recall Worker: Recalls the worker at this building to their hut block. You might use it if they are stuck somewhere, you want to see what they have, or want to give them something directly.
- Build Options: Lets you create a build, upgrade, reposition, or repair build order for this hut. To learn more about the building system, please visit the Builder page.
- Delivery Priority: You can set the priority that a Courier will visit this hut and pick up items (when the worker at this hut issues a request), or you can tell Couriers to never visit this hut to pick up items. You can also tell a Courier to do a pickup now using the Request Pickup Now button. (For the pickup priority, 10 is the highest.)
- List of Recipes and Teach Recipe: When clicking the list of recipes button, you see all the recipes you have taught this hut and can remove them. When clicking teach recipe, it opens a crafting grid which allows you to teach this hut recipes (not the worker).
- Inventory: Here you can access the hut block's storage, where the worker at this hut takes and deposits materials. They will also use any racks or chests that were placed in the hut when it was built or upgraded, so be sure to check those as well!
- ?: Some huts have an in-game guide. Press the ? button to access it.
- A chest icon: Click this button to see all the items in the hut's storage (including the hut block's inventory and any racks/chests that came with the hut). Clicking the ? button next to an item's count will highlight the storage container it's in.
By pressing the arrow button in the top right corner of the GUI, you will be taken to page 2 of the GUI where you will find the following:
- Required Resources: These are the resources that the Builder will need for the build order they are currently working on. This amount will change as they place blocks and will show only what blocks the Builder still needs to place. The blocks in red are the ones neither you nor the Builder has in their inventory.
Page 3 of the GUI:
- Builder Mode: Here you can set your Builder to Manual or Automatic mode (Automatic by default). In Automatic, the builder chooses which build order they'll complete next themselves (based on the order of the build requests in the Town Hall GUI's work orders tab). In Manual, you choose their next build order yourself by clicking Select next to the build order's name.
Page 4 of the GUI:
- Minimum Stock: Use this button to tell the Builder's Hut to keep a minimum stock on hand. Set items will be displayed above the button.
A few things to consider
For the placement of the Builder’s Hut, you should consider having the hut in the middle of where you plan to have the rest of your buildings so that the Builder has less of a distance to walk between their hut and the build sites.
The Builder will not start another build assignment until they have finished the current one.
You can go into the Town Hall’s GUI and click on the work orders tab to cancel builds as well as arrange the priorities of the other build orders you have there. If you cancel a work order and it was being built already, if you assign the build order again, the Builder will continue where they left off.
If the Builder removes a block while building and/or upgrading, they will keep it in their inventory and dump any items in their inventory at the end of a build into the Builder’s Hut inventory.